29th of June 2015
Mobility within Europe is a feature of our times. Increasingly it is women who are turning their backs on Italy to seek their fortunes in Germany, particularly Berlin, and facing the challenge of a new environment. What objects, what feelings do they bring with them? The women who have created this exhibition explore such questions from their own personal experience. Artists and organisers from the Vereinigung italienischer Frauen in Deutschland (Association of Italian Women in Germany) – or “Rete Donne” to its members – display their creativity in installations reflecting the overall theme of the museum’s collections, “Living in Europe”.
The monuments of the Acropolis have withstood the ravages of past centuries, both of ancient times and those of the Middle Ages. Until the 17th century, foreign travellers visiting the monuments depicted the classical buildings as being intact. This remained the case until the middle of the same century, when the Propylaia was blown up while being used as a gunpowder store. Thirty years later, the Ottoman occupiers dismantled the neighbouring Temple of Athena Nike to use its materials to strengthen the fortification of the Acropolis. The most fatal year, however, for the Acropolis, was 1687, when many of the building’s architectural members were blown into the air and fell in heaps around the Hill of the Acropolis, caused by a bomb from the Venetian forces. Foreign visitors to the Acropolis would search through the rubble and take fragments of the fallen sculptures as their souvenirs. It was in the 19th century that Lord Elgin removed intact architectural sculptures from the frieze, the metopes and the pediments of the building.
In 1833, the Turkish garrison withdrew from the Acropolis. Immediately after the founding of the Greek State, discussions about the construction of an Acropolis Museum on the Hill of the Acropolis began. In 1863, it was decided that the Museum be constructed on a site to the southeast of the Parthenon and foundations were laid on 30 December 1865.
The building program for the Museum had provided that its height not surpasses the height of the stylobate of the Parthenon. With only 800 square meters of floor space, the building was rapidly shown to be inadequate to accommodate the findings from the large excavations on the Acropolis that began in 1886. A second museum was announced in 1888, the so-called Little Museum. Final changes occurred in 1946-1947 with the second Museum being demolished and the original being sizably extended.
By the 1970s, the Museum could not cope satisfactorily with the large numbers of visitors passing through its doors. The inadequacy of the space frequently caused problems and downgraded the sense that the exhibition of the masterpieces from the Rock sought to achieve.
The Acropolis Museum was firstly conceived by Constantinos Karamanlis in September 1976. He also selected the site, upon which the Museum was finally built, decades later. With his penetrating vision, C. Karamanlis defined the need and established the means for a new Museum equipped with all technical facilities for the conservation of the invaluable Greek artifacts, where eventually the Parthenon sculptures will be reunited.
For these reasons, architectural competitions were conducted in 1976 and 1979, but without success. In 1989, Melina Mercouri, who as Minister of Culture inextricably identified her policies with the claim for the return of the Parthenon Marbles from the British Museum, initiated an international architectural competition. The results of this competition were annulled following the discovery of a large urban settlement on the Makriyianni site dating from Archaic to Early Christian Athens. This discovery now needed to be integrated into the New Museum that was to be built on this site.
In the year 2000, the Organization for the Construction of the New Acropolis Museum announced an invitation to a new tender, which was realized in accord with the Directives of the European Union. It is this Tender that has come to fruition with the awarding of the design tender to Bernard Tschumi with Michael Photiadis and their associates and the completion of construction in 2007.
Source: The Acropolis Museum
Today, the new Acropolis Museum has a total area of 25,000 square meters, with exhibition space of over 14,000 square meters, ten times more than that of the old museum on the Hill of the Acropolis. The new Museum offers all the amenities expected in an international museum of the 21st century.
Their Majesties Queen Margrethe and Queen Sonja are for the first time exhibiting their artwork in a joint exhibition taking place at Baroniet Rosendal from 12th June – 6th September. The exhibition is named “From mountains and coast”. The two Queens will be present at the opening of the exhibition on the 12th of June 2015.
Queen Margrethe and Queen Sonja are artists, each with a distinctive style. They both find inspiration in nature, and the exhibition – which will contain several new works – will express this through their respective techniques.
“Baroniet Rosendal is an important symbol of the strong cultural and historical connections between Denmark and Norway. It is an extraordinary adventure for us to host Queen Margrethe and Queen Sonja’s joint exhibition this summer! We couldn’t have dreamed of a better way to celebrate the 350th anniversary of the Rosendal Manor House!” – says Anne Grete Honerød, director of Baroniet Rosendal.
“Baroniet Rosendal is part of our common Danish-Norwegian heritage, and it is a great honor for the University of Oslo that the two Queens are having their first joint exhibition at the Rosendal Manor House from 1665”, says Ole Petter Ottersen, principal and leader of the Anniversary Committee.
In 1658 there was a wedding between Norway’s wealthiest heir and a Danish nobleman. Karen Mowat and Ludvig Rosenkrantz were given the Hatteberg farm as a wedding present. They built their home here, and called it Rosendal. It was finished in 1665. King Christian V of Denmark-Norway awarded the estate the status of “Barony” in 1678. Baroniet Rosendal was donated to the University of Oslo in 1927, and the University continues to serve as the current owner.
Today Baroniet Rosendal is a lively cultural scene and one of the most important tourist attractions in western Norway.
The joint exhibition of the two Queens’ artworks in the Manor House from 1665 is the headline of this celebratory Anniversary season.
Source: Baroniet Rosendal
The 20thanniversary organization of Art-Athina starts today at the TaeKwonDo Stadium. The most significant visual arts event in Greece will last from 4 until 7 June. Art-Athina– International Art Fair, which this year has a celebratory character, has been established in 1993 by the Hellenic Art Galleries
Association and organized by EuroMare with General Manager Alexis Caniaris, for the third consecutive
year. Galleries from Greece and abroad are the main part of the fair, which, with their continuous
presence at the organization, give with the best way the character and the trends of the visual arts world. In the overview of the world of contemporary art at this year’s anniversary Art- Athina
contribute with a rich parallel program, which outlines the visual footprint of our time. The participation of influential cultural institutions (museums and institutions, artistic publications and media) in the organization, contribute to the overall evaluation of the picture of the visual arts scene. The «Art-Athina
The participating galleries of Art-Athina 2015 are:
a.antonopoulou.art , AD GALLERY , agathi – kartalos , ΑLMA , Alpha C.K. Art Gallery , Art Zone 42 Gallery , ARTOWER AGORA , Asian Art Works Busan / Beijing , ASTROLAVOS art galleries, Canal 05 Art Gallery , DEPO DARM, Donopoulos IFA, ekfrasi-yianna grammatopoulou , Eleftheria Tseliou gallery , Francoise Heitsch , Gallery Binyil , GALERIE LAUREEN THOMAS , Gallery Ersi , Gallery Kaplanon 5 ), GALLERY PERITECHNON KARTERIS , Gallery Wul , IAGA International Art Gallery Angels , IKASTIKOS KIKLOS , JOEY RAMONE , KALFAYAN GALLERIES , Kappatos Gallery (Athens), Medusa Art Gallery , Mihalarias Art , mirko mayer gallery / m-projects , Mulier Mulier Gallery , Nitra Gallery , PAPATZIKOU GALLERY , Skoufa Gallery , taubert contemporary, Technohoros Art Gallery , The Collection Gallery, THE PUBLIC HOUSE OF ART , TSATSIS PROJECTS / ARTFORUM , UFOFABRIK Contemporary Art Gallery , widmertheodoridis , Zina Athanassiadou Gallery
Full price: €7
Concessions: €5 (students, people over the age of 65, unemployment card holders)
Free entrance for people with disabilities, children up to 18 years, members of the Chamber of Fine Arts of Greece and the members of AICA
For groups over 10 people, please contact with the organisers to email: email@example.com
Faliro Arena (Tae Kwon Do)
Faliron, Athens ,
Friday 5, 15:00 – 21:00
Saturday 6, 12:00 – 21:00
Sunday 7, 12:00 – 21:00